Reef Check Australia is looking for some motivated and independent people to assist with the coordination of the 2009 survey season for our Great Barrier Reef Project. If you want to gain experience in coral reef monitoring and team management this is an outstanding opportunity!
Townsville Project Officer. January 15th – July 17th 2009 (full time)
The Project Officer position will involve the planning, coordination and leadership of Reef Check research teams to survey sites in the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area. You will also be responsible for data management, analysis and the creation of a scientific report. Additional responsibilities subject to interest include fundraising, event coordination and grant writing.
Reef Check Australia has >70 trained volunteers and works with >20 dive operators on the Great Barrier Reef Project. Good communication, motivation, delegation and social skills are therefore essential. Minimum Rescue Diver required, however an insured divemaster or instructor is preferred.
The position is entirely volunteer. However, if you can identify potential grants that could provide you with a source of funds we are happy to assist you with an application.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Tertiary qualification in marine biology
- Field experience: coral reef surveys
- Rescue diver with a minimum of 50 logged dives
- Current first aid, CPR and oxygen provider qualifications*
- Proven experience with team leadership and coordination of projects
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
* safety qualifications must be accepted courses in Queensland e.g. Senior First Aid, Dan Oxygen Provider – please check with Reef Check regarding which qualifications you have to confirm if they are accepted)
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Divemaster or Instructor with full life insurance for seniors
- Extensive eperience with coral reef monitoring (>25 surveys completed)
Why Work for Reef Check Australia?
- Part of the United Nation’s official International coral reef monitoring program
- Strong scientific reputation
- Work with likeminded people at the cutting edge of coral reef conservation
Benefits to you include the opportunity to:
- Team-work skills
- Learn coral reef research skills
- Enhance project coordination skills
- Contribute to Australia’s long-term data set
- Take part in the most comprehensive Reef Check Training program in the world
- Work with like-minded professionals and volunteers at one of the world’s leading centres of tropical marine science
- Log dives at some of Australia’s most spectacular coral reefs
- Potential for ongoing opportunities with Reef Check
Applicants should send their resume to Jos Hill at email@example.com