The Reef Check program brings together community groups, government departments, academia and business partners to:
- Educate the public about the coral reef crisis and issues facing California's coastal ecosystem;
- Create a global network of volunteer teams to regularly monitor and report on reef health;
- Scientifically investigate reef ecosystem processes;
- Facilitate collaboration among academia, NGOs, governments and business;
- Stimulate local community action to protect remaining pristine reefs and rehabilitate damaged reefs worldwide using ecologically sound and economically sustainable solutions.