The Reef Check Foundation seeks a savvy, imaginative, ahead-of-the-curve Social Media Manager to join our team. Initially, a half-time position with a focus on our California program, but could grow to full time depending on performance and funding.
The Social Media Manager will be responsible for designing and implementing Reef Check’s Social Media Strategy. The goal of the social media program is to drive our ocean conservation campaigns, deliver our message to the world, and engage our volunteers, partners and supporters in Reef Check’s activities in California.
The ideal candidate is passionate about and already deeply engaged and well versed in social media, with a track record of in building creative social media campaigns, ideally with some non-profit experience.
- We set the goals, and you design and implement the social media strategy to get there following a set schedule and using all relevant platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+, forums and others that will become available.
- Promote relevant thought leadership and promotional content daily while monitoring relevant conversations and identifying appropriate areas for ongoing engagement.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date “social standards” and interactive communication systems/processes for both current and new Reef Check volunteers.
- Link social media with our interactive online data delivery and display system based on a Google Earth interface (data.reefcheck.org) for outreach and education.
- Engage our target audiences daily, across multiple social media channels by sharing content, finding ways to grow followers, mentions and re-tweets and improve overall engagement with our Facebook page and other appropriate platforms.
- Stay ahead of the curve in leveraging social media channels as content hubs, managing Reef Check’s web-analytic systems to create focused media campaigns and marketing.
- Train staff/volunteers to help implement the social media campaign and drive content.
- Take the lead on implementing Reef Check’s Speakers Bureau across California.
Supporters/Volunteers – keep our existing supporters engaged and give them more reasons to support our work directly or through donations
General public – education and outreach; attract new volunteers and donors.
- 2-4 years of Communications experience, including demand generation, content marketing and/or PR with social media.
- Highly imaginative, self-starter, team player and proven success in social media marketing at national or international level.
- Concrete examples of social media marketing successes and wins.
- Experience in demonstrating results from social, content marketing and engagement campaigns as they relate back to business objectives (ideally in a non-profit, donor or lead generation environment).
- Expert skills in use of social media networks, web applications, 3rd party social media tools, and the ability to make recommendations for each.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- A passion for ocean conservation.
How to apply
This is a direct hire role and key team member. Outside agencies, consultants and overseas / contract workers will not be considered.
Email your application by October 6th to:
Jan Freiwald, PhD, Director Reef Check California
Please include the following:
1) Cover letter stating why you are qualified for the position and an outline of a potential social media strategy for Reef Check.
2) CV or resume – with clear examples of social media goals achieved.
3) Three references
This is a part-time position at 50% of full time (20 hours per week) and compensation will be $19.00/hour.
The ideal candidate will be based in or near Santa Cruz or Los Angeles. Most of this work will be completed remotely (home office) though the Social Media Manager will be expected to work with headquarters and regional offices as tasks require.
Click here for a PDF of this announcement.